En

"Emmemm"

15/11/2004 5:23 PM

Writers get it right!

"New series writer Mark Gatiss spoke to the Sunday Herald on November
7 about his series "The League of Gentlemen" and also about the new
Doctor Who season forthcoming. "The Dr Who commission was another
dream job somehow drafted into reality for Gatiss," the article says.
"He loved the programme as a child, and hated it when it became an
obscure self-parody.""

Thank goodness the new writing team realise how dreadful the show
became in the 1980s!
--
Frank
"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much
fraternizing with the enemy." - Henry Kissinger


This topic has 32 replies

MH

Martin Hoscik

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 5:39 PM

Sean Huxter wrote:
> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the most
> ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.

Hi Sean, Emm (and Gattiss) are referring to the BBC Comedy Series "The
League of Gentlemen"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/leagueofgentleme_66602120.shtml

:-)

--
Martin Hoscik
www.unitnews.co.uk > Reviews & Articles

jJ

[email protected] (Jim Vowles)

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 12:51 AM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the most
> ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.

No, that's something else entirely. League of Gentlemen is a bizarre
dark comedy series. They showed some eps here in the US late at night
on (I think) Comedy Central a few years back. Very odd...

> With characters stolen from a large number of famed authors with actual
> talent, this series did nothing but self-parody, and badly.

What series? It was a single movie adapted from a rather good graphic
novel by a well-respected author.

> And with what they did to the film of that series, this guy is NOT the
> authority on how to put something good on the screen.

Again, a moment's effort at IMDB would have told you this is not the
same item.

compare:
LoG: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184135/
LXG: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311429/


> While the comic book was amusing, it lacked any originality beyond cramming
> together a bunch of copyrighted characters. And the film, while visually
> beautiful, was a dreadful film.

Amusing? The comic was damned good. The movie remixed the basic idea
and took a slightly different take on the characters. I consider it a
guilty pleasure (there are so many pretty or even very cool bits, and
the heart's in the right place, but it doesn't quite make it).

And the characters aren't copyrighted, except for, apparently, the
Invisible Man (who they couldn't get movie rights to, so they rewrote
the character as a thief who stole the original formula). The others
are all in the public domain.

CC

Capper

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 6:57 AM

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:03:42 -0600, Sean Huxter wrote:


> I'd love to hear more Big Finish stuff but it's just not available here in
> the US. Not as far as I know.
>
> And of course, BBC2... we don't get that. We get BBC America which seems
> to be just decorating shows.

Http://www.bigfinish.com they will ship to the USA

i'm behind myself with the listening, haaving only recently discovered how
good some of the BF DW audios are, i got 3 to try and immediately (well
nearly) ordered 18 more on the strength of those first 3, i also got the
First "season" of Gallifrey, the spin off from Zagreus where President
Romana II and Leela Meet. I also had the Earthsearch Mindwarp Audios but
they ain't DW so don't count in here)

the 3 were #1 Sirens of Time ( DR's 5,6,7,) #50 Zagreus (Dr's 5,6,7,8) and
Special II Shada (Dr 8). the next 18 (#'s 2-19) are interesting Especially
the Colin Baker ones and the Paul Mcgann ones as the Paul McGann's are
kinda Like the Series he never got and the Colin Baker ones are Superb
with the unseen assistant Evelyn Smithe.

jJ

[email protected] (John S. Hall)

in reply to Capper on 16/11/2004 6:57 AM

17/11/2004 8:00 PM

Hey Sean,

Another place you can get Big Finish audio adventures is on eBay, from the
seller salvomprodigynet, who sells them for about five to six dollars cheaper
than you'd pay through other sources.

I get all mine from him, and it's well worth it, IMHO.

Cheers,
JohnH

GB

"Gordon Bennet Wraith"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

20/11/2004 1:23 AM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Know who I think should do Watchmen?
>
> PIXAR.
>

Excellent idea - PIXAR is hideously spectacular.

Lets get this to work on Who:
http://www.this-wonderful-life.com/index.htm

I love it. I want one.
-Wraith-

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 5:34 PM

If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the most
ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.

With characters stolen from a large number of famed authors with actual
talent, this series did nothing but self-parody, and badly.

And with what they did to the film of that series, this guy is NOT the
authority on how to put something good on the screen.

While the comic book was amusing, it lacked any originality beyond cramming
together a bunch of copyrighted characters. And the film, while visually
beautiful, was a dreadful film.

Sean.


"Emmemm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "New series writer Mark Gatiss spoke to the Sunday Herald on November
> 7 about his series "The League of Gentlemen" and also about the new
> Doctor Who season forthcoming. "The Dr Who commission was another
> dream job somehow drafted into reality for Gatiss," the article says.
> "He loved the programme as a child, and hated it when it became an
> obscure self-parody.""
>
> Thank goodness the new writing team realise how dreadful the show
> became in the 1980s!
> --
> Frank
> "Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much
> fraternizing with the enemy." - Henry Kissinger
>

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 6:03 AM

Us folks on the left side of the Atlantic really miss out, I guess.

I have only heard about five Big Finish Audios, most of those were the Dalek
War stuff, which I find depressing.

I don't get DWM very often. It's only available at one comic book store and
it's expensive. (Though I did get one a while back that had a Big Finish CD
with "No Place Like Home" on it, and (sigh) a teaser for Dalek War.

I'd love to hear more Big Finish stuff but it's just not available here in
the US. Not as far as I know.

And of course, BBC2... we don't get that. We get BBC America which seems to
be just decorating shows.

Sean.


"David Brider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Paul Andinach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> in news:[email protected]:
> >>
> >> Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
> >> quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!
> >
> > Why should I know him? Why should all Doctor Who fans know him?
>
> Well, he's written a number of highly regarded "Doctor Who" novels
> (including one of the most popular, "Nightshade"); he's written at least a
> couple of "Doctor Who" audios for Big Finish (including "Invaders from
> Mars" - which he also directed - starring Paul McGann); he co-wrote and
> appeared in three sketches for BBC2's "Doctor Who" night in 1999, one of
> which featured him as the Doctor and got him on the cover of "Doctor Who
> Magazine"; and "Doctor Who Magazine" recently published a three-part
> interview with him shortly before the new series was announced.
>
> So it would be fair to say that most "Doctor Who" fans could be expected
to
> have at least *heard* of him. But if you haven't, then that's fair
enough.
>
> David.
>
> --
> David Brider; a full-length adventure, too broad and too deep for the
small
> screen.
> This week I have been mostly reading: "Trojan Odyssey" by Clive Cussler.
> "...God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still
> sinners, Christ died for us."
> (Romans 5:8)
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/davidbrider/
>

rL

[email protected] (Lynn Clark)

in reply to "Sean Huxter" on 16/11/2004 6:03 AM

16/11/2004 6:59 AM

Hey, Sean, try online - I get mine thru the BBC America Shop and The Doctor Who
Store. They're both great resources.



***********************
Lynn

**When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt**

CK

Corey Klemow

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 1:02 PM

Braxianol wrote:
> "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>
>
>>Soooo... everything I said about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
>
> you
>
>>can use as an Off-Topic review of a pretty bady movie.
>
>
> it's a dire film and I truly dread the forthcoming adaptaion of
> Watchmen...

The "Watchmen" film is not being made by the folks responsible for
"LXG." The current "Watchmen" film script was written by David Hayter
(the two "X-Men" films). The director was going to be Darren Aaronofsky
("Pi"), but he recently had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts, and
a new director has not yet been announced. The property seems to be
with producers who understand and respect the material at the moment, so
as long as there are no major shake-ups, it might actually be a decent
adaptation. I'm cautiously optimistic. (Though obviously a television
miniseries would be much more faithful than any film adaptation could
be, no matter how well done...)

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 10:44 PM

Hey, thanks!

www.whona.com is a great place, and it has more of my interests than just
Doctor Who, like Anderson, Tomorrow People, etc.

Gonna be visiting there frequently.

This week I'm going to buy a Big Finish audio and see how it goes.

Sean.



"Eric Gjovaag" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Check out www.doctorwhostore.com, www.mosv.com, or my favorite domestic
> "Who" shop, www.whona.com. In the past I've ordered direct from Big
> Finish, where a subscription gets you ten stories for the price of five,
> but with the current state of the dollar against the pound, it's gotten
> cheaper to order from one of these shops.

KC

"Ken Carriere"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 6:38 PM

"Sean Huxter" <se[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the
most
> ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.
>
> With characters stolen from a large number of famed authors with actual
> talent, this series did nothing but self-parody, and badly.
>
> And with what they did to the film of that series, this guy is NOT the
> authority on how to put something good on the screen.
>
> While the comic book was amusing, it lacked any originality beyond
cramming
> together a bunch of copyrighted characters.

Actually, the characters are no longer under copyright, that's why Alan
Moore was able to cram them together.

AG

"Alan G McWhan"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 4:39 PM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Know who I think should do Watchmen?
>
> PIXAR.
>
> The Incredibles shows that they can make the best superhero movie ever
> made,
> so I think that if they got the job they'd do it far better than anyone
> else.

But PIXAR quite explicitly don't do adaptations - only their own original
stuff. It's part of the company's ethic, according to a spot on Film 2004
the other week.

En

"Emmemm"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

17/11/2004 2:24 PM

"Braxianol" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Frank, it's worth listening to the Eighth Doctor Authors CD from Big
> Finish

Cheers - I have two Eighth Doctor Audios (the first one and Chimes of
Midnight), but most of my BF buys were older Doctors.

--
Frank
"Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There's too much
fraternizing with the enemy." - Henry Kissinger

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

18/11/2004 4:51 PM

Browsing the web today I found this site:

http://www.temporaltoys.com/store/default.asp

They have downloadable (for $6.00 each) BBV Audio episodes starring McCoy
and Aldred.

The first was written by Mark Gatiss.
http://www.temporaltoys.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=78

I also bought number 5. How could I resist with that cover? (Which probably
has nothing to do with the story)
http://www.temporaltoys.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=128

I also downloaded a FILES Magazine special on season 17 just for fun.

Cool site. I think I'll be buying more of these.

I'm not sure what affiliation these have with "Doctor Who". McCoy is only
ever referred to as "The Professor" and Ace is just "Ace". McCoy and Aldred
star. ANd the theme music is similar but NOT Doctor Who.

I think, but I'm not sure (and I'm sure someone here will edumacate me) that
this is an un-licensed spinoff.

I'd love to know more about BBV.

Sean.



"David Brider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > "Paul Andinach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
> >> in news:[email protected]:
> >>
> >> Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
> >> quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!
> >
> > Why should I know him? Why should all Doctor Who fans know him?
>
> Well, he's written a number of highly regarded "Doctor Who" novels
> (including one of the most popular, "Nightshade"); he's written at least a
> couple of "Doctor Who" audios for Big Finish (including "Invaders from
> Mars" - which he also directed - starring Paul McGann); he co-wrote and
> appeared in three sketches for BBC2's "Doctor Who" night in 1999, one of
> which featured him as the Doctor and got him on the cover of "Doctor Who
> Magazine"; and "Doctor Who Magazine" recently published a three-part
> interview with him shortly before the new series was announced.
>
> So it would be fair to say that most "Doctor Who" fans could be expected
to
> have at least *heard* of him. But if you haven't, then that's fair
enough.
>
> David.
>
> --
> David Brider; a full-length adventure, too broad and too deep for the
small
> screen.
> This week I have been mostly reading: "Trojan Odyssey" by Clive Cussler.
> "...God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still
> sinners, Christ died for us."
> (Romans 5:8)
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/davidbrider/
>

IS

"Ian Salsbury"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 5:49 PM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the
> most
> ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.

NO!!! He means the hilarious BBC comedy The League of Gentlemen, viciously
black humour. All 3 series and the Xmas special are available on DVD
although I doubt it`s made it Stateside. When the Xmas special first aired I
remember thinking how good a job this lot would do with a Dr Who series, at
least one of them`s getting a go! A lot of the stuff they do is influenced
by old horror films, it`s one of the best shows the BBC have made in years
IMO. There`s also a scene in the first series where Gatiss plays a
dreadfully dull cave guide character who at one point goes on about the
filming of Revenge of the Cybermen.

EG

Eric Gjovaag

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 8:22 AM

In article <[email protected]>,
"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Us folks on the left side of the Atlantic really miss out, I guess.

Really? I live in the Seattle area, and I get DWM and the Big Finish
audios on a regular basis.

> I don't get DWM very often. It's only available at one comic book store and
> it's expensive. (Though I did get one a while back that had a Big Finish CD
> with "No Place Like Home" on it, and (sigh) a teaser for Dalek War.

Okay, true, DWM is expensive over here, but still worth getting if
you're a diehard "Who" fan. The way to get it is to either special order
it through your local comic shop, or get a subscription. I'd go with the
former, as you can get it cheaper than via subscription (those overseas
shipping charges cancel out any savings), and some shops give regular
buyers of titles a discount. If you want a subscription, however, you
can order one through Amazon.com's magazine sevice. (By the way, you can
also order the latest BBC novels through your comic shop as well.)

> I'd love to hear more Big Finish stuff but it's just not available here in
> the US. Not as far as I know.

Check out www.doctorwhostore.com, www.mosv.com, or my favorite domestic
"Who" shop, www.whona.com. In the past I've ordered direct from Big
Finish, where a subscription gets you ten stories for the price of five,
but with the current state of the dollar against the pound, it's gotten
cheaper to order from one of these shops.

> And of course, BBC2... we don't get that. We get BBC America which seems to
> be just decorating shows.

At least you DO get BBC America. And check out their Friday night
line-up, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...

--Eric Gjovaag

dT

[email protected] (The Doctor)

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 9:52 AM

In article <[email protected]>,
Sean Huxter <[email protected]> wrote:
>See? I can't even get it right in a correction.
>
>League of Gentlemen... seen it a coupe of times.... not regularly.
>
>League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... saw it. Read it. Didn't like it.
>

One moment blokes. Was it not the fact that CE
was featured in one of these shows?
--
Member - Liberal International
This is [email protected] Ici [email protected]
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Alberta on 22 Nov 2004 Boot out Ralph Klein - Vote Liberal!!

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 10:05 PM

See? I can't even get it right in a correction.

League of Gentlemen... seen it a coupe of times.... not regularly.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... saw it. Read it. Didn't like it.

Sean.


"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Now see there's where ONE word makes all the difference.
>
> League of Extraordinary Men is a show I've seen on occasion, but I have
not
> watched it regularly.
>
> Soooo... everything I said about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... you
> can use as an Off-Topic review of a pretty bady movie.
>
> :-)
>
> Sean.

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 9:39 PM

Now see there's where ONE word makes all the difference.

League of Extraordinary Men is a show I've seen on occasion, but I have not
watched it regularly.

Soooo... everything I said about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... you
can use as an Off-Topic review of a pretty bady movie.

:-)

Sean.



"Martin Hoscik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Sean Huxter wrote:
> > If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the
most
> > ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.
>
> Hi Sean, Emm (and Gattiss) are referring to the BBC Comedy Series "The
> League of Gentlemen"
>
>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/l/leagueofgentleme_66602120.shtml
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Martin Hoscik
> www.unitnews.co.uk > Reviews & Articles
>

Bb

"Braxianol"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 5:22 AM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Soooo... everything I said about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
you
> can use as an Off-Topic review of a pretty bady movie.

it's a dire film and I truly dread the forthcoming adaptaion of
Watchmen...

Brax

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 9:47 PM

"Paul Andinach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
> in news:[email protected]:
>
> Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
> quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!

Why should I know him? Why should all Doctor Who fans know him?

Even AFTER checking his name in IMDB, I only recognize one show he wrote -
Randall and Hopkirk, and being in the US, I have never seen an episode.


> You say that so very authoritatively for someone who clearly
> doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

There is a difference between mistaking a writer's involvement with a
project and saying the project was ... bad.


Sean.

Bb

"Braxianol"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 5:23 AM

"Emmemm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "New series writer Mark Gatiss spoke to the Sunday Herald on November
> 7 about his series "The League of Gentlemen" and also about the new
> Doctor Who season forthcoming. "The Dr Who commission was another
> dream job somehow drafted into reality for Gatiss," the article says.
> "He loved the programme as a child, and hated it when it became an
> obscure self-parody.""
>
> Thank goodness the new writing team realise how dreadful the show
> became in the 1980s!

Frank, it's worth listening to the Eighth Doctor Authors CD from Big
Finish which was released about the same time as Neverland. It features
Cornell, Gatiss, Shearman, Briggs, and the other writers for the second
McGann audio season not linked to the new series on telly talking about
Doctor Who and writing for it.

Brax

PA

Paul Andinach

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 6:30 PM

On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> "Paul Andinach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
> > quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!
-snip-

> > You say that so very authoritatively for someone who clearly
> > doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.
>
> There is a difference between mistaking a writer's involvement
> with a project and saying the project was ... bad.

Please forgive my rudeness; mostly, it was the lack of sleep
talking.

For what it's worth, I agree with your assessment of the movie, and
mostly with your assessment of the original series, although not
with the emphasis: it seems odd to complain that a story's main
success was in achieving the thing it set out to achieve.

However, you did manage to make four errors (of varying levels of
significance) in the space of five sentences, which is quite an
achievement (or at least seemed so at the time).

The one that particularly struck me was your blaming the-person-
you-thought-Mark-Gatiss-was for the faults of both the series and
the movie; it may be worth noting for future reference that no
single person bears that burden, since the people who made the
series had no involvement with making the movie.


Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

PA

Paul Andinach

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 6:27 PM

On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one
> of the most ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.

Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!


> With characters stolen from a large number of famed authors with
> actual talent, this series did nothing but self-parody, and
> badly.
>
> And with what they did to the film of that series, this guy is
> NOT the authority on how to put something good on the screen.
>
> While the comic book was amusing, it lacked any originality
> beyond cramming together a bunch of copyrighted characters. And
> the film, while visually beautiful, was a dreadful film.

You say that so very authoritatively for someone who clearly
doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.


Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

SH

"Sean Huxter"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 4:34 PM

Know who I think should do Watchmen?

PIXAR.

The Incredibles shows that they can make the best superhero movie ever made,
so I think that if they got the job they'd do it far better than anyone
else.

Sean.



"Corey Klemow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Braxianol wrote:
> > "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >
> >
> >>Soooo... everything I said about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...
> >
> > you
> >
> >>can use as an Off-Topic review of a pretty bady movie.
> >
> >
> > it's a dire film and I truly dread the forthcoming adaptaion of
> > Watchmen...
>
> The "Watchmen" film is not being made by the folks responsible for
> "LXG." The current "Watchmen" film script was written by David Hayter
> (the two "X-Men" films). The director was going to be Darren Aaronofsky
> ("Pi"), but he recently had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts, and
> a new director has not yet been announced. The property seems to be
> with producers who understand and respect the material at the moment, so
> as long as there are no major shake-ups, it might actually be a decent
> adaptation. I'm cautiously optimistic. (Though obviously a television
> miniseries would be much more faithful than any film adaptation could
> be, no matter how well done...)
>

Bb

"Braxianol"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 11:54 PM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The Incredibles shows that [PIXAR] can make the best superhero movie
> ever made, so I think that if they got the job [making Watchmen]
they'd
> do it far better than anyone else.

The thing with Watchmen is that it's the book which brought super heroes
into the real world - so it needs to be made with realism in mind (let
Watchmen be the Prisoner of Azkaban to all other superhero movies'
Philosopher's Stone/Chamber of Secrets). The other problem with Watchmen
is the lack of movie style action which comics like X-Men and Spiderman
are naturals at delivering.

Anyway, OT now :o)

Brax
(thanks for the reassurance Corey, I'm now a little happier)

Ab

"Andrew"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

15/11/2004 5:40 PM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> If you mean "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" then this is one of the
> most
> ironic and hilarious comments I've ever seen.
>
No., he means "The League of Gentlemen", which is something else entirely.
Take a quick look on IMDB before trashing Mark Gatiss in one breath. The one
thing that the LOG team know about more than comedy is horror, and that
bodes well for the new series of Dr Who...


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.796 / Virus Database: 540 - Release Date: 13/11/2004

DB

"David Brider"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

16/11/2004 12:58 AM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "Paul Andinach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> On 16 Nov 2004, "Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote
>> in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> Gosh, a Doctor Who fan who doesn't know who Mark Gatiss is...
>> quick! catch him! He may be the last one left in the wild!
>
> Why should I know him? Why should all Doctor Who fans know him?

Well, he's written a number of highly regarded "Doctor Who" novels
(including one of the most popular, "Nightshade"); he's written at least a
couple of "Doctor Who" audios for Big Finish (including "Invaders from
Mars" - which he also directed - starring Paul McGann); he co-wrote and
appeared in three sketches for BBC2's "Doctor Who" night in 1999, one of
which featured him as the Doctor and got him on the cover of "Doctor Who
Magazine"; and "Doctor Who Magazine" recently published a three-part
interview with him shortly before the new series was announced.

So it would be fair to say that most "Doctor Who" fans could be expected to
have at least *heard* of him. But if you haven't, then that's fair enough.

David.

--
David Brider; a full-length adventure, too broad and too deep for the small
screen.
This week I have been mostly reading: "Trojan Odyssey" by Clive Cussler.
"...God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still
sinners, Christ died for us."
(Romans 5:8)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/davidbrider/

KC

"Ken Carriere"

in reply to "Emmemm" on 15/11/2004 5:23 PM

19/11/2004 12:32 AM

"Sean Huxter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Browsing the web today I found this site:
>
> http://www.temporaltoys.com/store/default.asp

[snip]

> Cool site. I think I'll be buying more of these.
>
> I'm not sure what affiliation these have with "Doctor Who". McCoy is only
> ever referred to as "The Professor" and Ace is just "Ace". McCoy and
Aldred
> star. ANd the theme music is similar but NOT Doctor Who.
>
> I think, but I'm not sure (and I'm sure someone here will edumacate me)
that
> this is an un-licensed spinoff.

No, no, not at all. *wink* Any similarities are in your mind. *wink wink*

Actually, after the first few, the BBC started whispering about copyright
infringement, legal action, etc., so, if you download the later ones, you'll
notice that McCoy is suddenly called "the Dominie" (whatever that means)
while Aldred becomes "Alice."

I really appreciated them during the '90s when there was no other regular
audio or visual DW. They could have slacked off, and still been the sole
game in town, but you always got the sense they were doing their best,
putting their hearts and souls into every production, even if some releases
weren't as good as others.

> I'd love to know more about BBV.

http://www.gallifreyone.com/faq.php (search for "BBV audio")
http://www.bbvonline.co.uk/ Start reading, brother.

PA

Paul Andinach

in reply to "Ken Carriere" on 19/11/2004 12:32 AM

19/11/2004 7:03 PM

On 20 Nov 2004, "Ken Carriere" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Daibhid Ceannaideach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > From: "Ken Carriere" [email protected]
> > Date: 19/11/04 06:32 GMT Standard Time
> >
> > > suddenly called "the Dominie" (whatever that means)
> >
> > It's a Scots word meaning "schoolmaster".
>
> Ah, thank you. That makes sense.

Yes, it does, doesn't it? Particularly considering McCoy's accent.
So much sense that it seems almost petty to notice that "the
Dominie" has the same first two syllables as "the Doctor"...


Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

KC

"Ken Carriere"

in reply to "Ken Carriere" on 19/11/2004 12:32 AM

19/11/2004 3:04 PM

"Daibhid Ceannaideach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> From: "Ken Carriere" [email protected]
> Date: 19/11/04 06:32 GMT Standard Time
>
>> suddenly called "the Dominie" (whatever that means)
>
> It's a Scots word meaning "schoolmaster".

Ah, thank you. That makes sense.

dD

[email protected] (Daibhid Ceannaideach)

in reply to "Ken Carriere" on 19/11/2004 12:32 AM

19/11/2004 7:25 AM

From: "Ken Carriere" [email protected]
Date: 19/11/04 06:32 GMT Standard Time

>Actually, after the first few, the BBC started whispering about copyright
>infringement, legal action, etc., so, if you download the later ones, you'll
>notice that McCoy is suddenly called "the Dominie" (whatever that means)

It's a Scots word meaning "schoolmaster".


--
Dave
The Official Absentee of EU Skiffeysoc
http://www.eusa.ed.ac.uk/societies/sesoc
In life, as in breakfast cereal, it is always best to read the instructions on
the box.
-Thief of Time, Terry Pratchett


You’ve reached the end of replies